"R as in Rudabaga, Rabbit and Roses" - abc Wednesday, Round 6-R, Alphabe-Thursday-R

My own photo of one of our Easter rabbits.



Tiny rose brooch made by Maria Gower, London.


A simple pin of a pink rose that my mother gave my daughter.



------
Let's face it. When you are dealing with me, you are dealing with a Swede. And this is what swedes look like! They are (swedes) yellow turnips that are also known as Rudabagas.

This week's letter is "R" and Rudabaga is one of my favourite R-words.

These are mashed turnips/rudabagas courtesy of Wikipedia


"R" is not a rare letter. Today is already Thursday and once again it is almost too late to play Mrs. Denise Nesbitt's abc-Wednesday and Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday.

The letter "R" is one of those letters that I have really been looking forward to. There are so many really interesting R-words. Looking at the animal kingdom, there are rabbits


or rodents such as rats.

There are other furry beasts like raccoons
Raccoon photos from Wikipedia


or even larger animals with hoves like reindeer

There are unfurry creatures like rhinoceros

or reptiles, such as rattlesnakes.

Rattlesnake from Wikipedia


And two last animal-R-words are birds: raven and robin.
Raven and robin from Wikipedia


------
Let us leave the animal kingdom and see what R-words there are to be found in the world of jewellery-making. The obvious and really one and only R-word for adornments is "ring". But since I do not make rings to sell in my shops at this time, I will just show some rings that I happen to own. There is nothing special about these rings other than the fact that my mother gave them to me and now they are a part of my private collection of fun things to wear that help me remember her. (Wow! Another R-word: "remember"!)

Now I would like to show you something of the work of two other jewellery-artists whom I admire. Last week I featured some lovely quartz-items made by Karen Stahlecker. Karen has agreed to let me show a pair earrings that she made with rhodolite garnets.

Aren't they beautiful? For those who might like to purchase these wonderful rhodolite garnet earrings, all you have to do to get to Karen's Etsy shop is to click here or on the image .
This is Karen Stahlecker

and not Anna.
------
The other guest jewellery-artist is Maria Gower (Maria Gower of Maria Gower Designs and www.roseparadise.co.uk/) who made the rose pin in the photo that is third from top of this post. Maria makes incredibly true-to-nature/romantic floral jewellery for high-quality bridal pieces. Check out Maria's Etsy shop here.)

The brilliant detail of her roses is without exaggeration, simply amazing. I have reason to return to Maria's work in the near future.

To visit Maria Gower's shop please click here.

This is Maria Gower

And not Anna!
------
There are some R-words that I would like to add before we part: Russian dolls!

Another R-word is "rune", which is a letter of the alphabet of northern Europe in ancient times. Here is a model of Sweden's largest, most famous runestone, Rokstenen, which is found in the parish of Rok, not too far from our farm. (The o in "Rok" has an umlaut.) Rok is also an R-word! (Read about it in Swedish here. Read about it in English here.)

------
And since it is not the right time of year for roses, I would like to show you some wonderful rhododendon blooms from my neighbours' gardens:


Happy Rs to you all!
Anna
------
P.S.
You have just read about and seen images for the following words that begin with the letter "R": rudabaga, rabbit, rose, rhesus monkey, rodent, rat, racoon, reindeer, red deer, rhinoseros, reptiles, rattlesnake, raven, robin, ring, remember,
rhodolite garnets, Russian dolls, rune, runestone, Rokstenen and rhododenron.

Jenny    Matlock

For more R-words at Mrs. Nesbitt's abcWednesday please click here.
For more R-words at Mrs. Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday please click here.
Take a look at my very last extra R-word here.

First Commenter:
Brimful Curiosities



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

【今夜もドル箱S】パチンコサイボーグ009絆

Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus Week 32